Due to the increasing number of teams and the reduced number of HV umpires over recent seasons, we have been forced to take a more structured approach to umpiring. The Club is developing a roster based system that will require all State League, Metro 2 Men and Women and Metro 4 Men to umpire games. You don’t have to be a regular player to take part in the roster – we welcome anyone keen to be involved.
The Club is very aware that a number of people are inexperienced and reluctant to umpire and we will be seeking to arrange for people to umpire games at their level and hopefully give them the skills to do it competently. This scheme will also help improve the hockey knowledge and may increase a players respect for people who umpire their games.
The keys components to the scheme will be:
- All Men and Metro 2 Women will be allocated a minimum of two games that will be tailored to players umpiring abilities and experience – you can select your preferred games, preferred rounds and times click here,
- Greater emphasis on umpiring accreditation more information on the HockeyEd website,
- To achieve Community level accreditation all you need to do is online session and then be assessed by myself, Meaghan or Tim Jensen,
- Names of umpires will be included in the forthcoming matches,
- Anew umpire payment structure that encourages accreditation, and
- New Umpire Coordinator – Meaghan Arnold
The latest FIH rules and the Clubs presentation and advice at the umpires night are attached below:
The new umpire payments will be:
|Level 1+ accreditation||
|Community level accredited Senior games||
|Unaccredited and all U11s games||
|Under 9s games||
The key component of this scheme will be the roster. To ensure you are rostered on to the most appropriate game for your ability and umpiring confidence we have prepared a form below (please press refresh if form isn’t below).